Wednesday 5 September 2012

Cauliflower, tomatoes, capers

This is the second dish I tried from my new book "Hugh's Three Good Things" by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. Think: crunchy cauliflower, sweet tomatoes and sour sharp capers. Optionally some parsley. In my humble opinion one thing must go with this salad: crusty bread to wipe off those delicious juices. Another quick one before I publish book review. 

I didn't follow the exact quantities and also following Hugh's general guidelines from this book (about extras, swaps etc) I would recommend  you swapping blanched cauliflower for raw one and decide which one you like better. I equally like both.


Serves 2

1 small cauliflower, trimmed into florets 
3 medium ripe tomatoes 
40g salted capers, rinsed 
olive oil 
half lemon juice 
freshly ground black pepper 
salt 
some chopped parsley (optionally)
good quality bread for serving 

I prefer to skin tomatoes, but I can skip this stage. Place tomatoes in a bowl and cover with hot water. After about 5 minutes drain and remove the skin. Quarter, remove the flesh with the seeds and hard ends then chop to your liking. 

Bring a pan of salted water to the boil. Add cauliflower florets and cook for about 2 minutes, then immediately drain and put into a bowl with icy water - this will stop them from cooking. Leave to cool down completely and drain. Place in a bowl. 

Add tomatoes and capers to the cauliflower, add a good splash of olive oil, lemon juice, little salt and some pepper. Toss and leave to macerate in cold room temperature, for at least 1 hour, preferably for 3 hours. 

Serve sprinkled with some parsley and with some toasted bread. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, feel free to leave a comment. Thank you!