Monday 16 July 2012

Spelt with peas & grilled halloumi

I bought my first spelt grain by mistake. It was my last day of holiday in Poland, I was shopping in a rush and picked something from a shelf that I thought was a spelt bread flour. This was a whole grain to be used in bread making, however I cooked it instead of adding this to a bread dough and since then I am completely in love with it.

Spelt is very healthy, rich in vitamins, minerals, it contains gluten that is very tolerable by people with gluten intolerance. In Roman times it was gladiators' food. I absolutely love it and use it in sweet and savoury recipes.

Today's recipe also features one of my favourite cheeses - halloumi. It is perfect for grilling as it keeps its shape in high temperatures. I hope you'll enjoy it.


Serves 2

about 500ml spelt grain
200g halloumi 
about  250ml peas (fresh or defrosted)
half red onion, peeled and sliced
juice of half lemon
1 lime
small handful of fresh mint
2-3 springs of fresh thyme, leaves picked
few tbsps of cold pressed rapeseed oil 
few pinches of chilli flakes
salt
freshly ground black pepper

Place the spelt in a pan, cover with water and soak for about 10 hours. Drain, cover with fresh water, add some salt and bring to the boil. Simmer over the low heat until al dente.

While you cooking the spelt prepare the onion - marinate it in lemon and half lime juice.

Cut the halloumi in about 1cm slices, drizzle with some oil, sprinkle with chilli flakes, some salt and pepper and grill on very hot cast iron frying pan.

When spelt is nearly cooked add the peas and cook for about 3 minutes, then drain and return to the pan. Drizzle with little oil, add juices from marinating the onion and chopped mint and thyme. Stir well.

Place the spelt with peas onto two plates, top with marinated onion, grilles halloumi, drizzle with little oil and serve immediately with lime wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, feel free to leave a comment. Thank you!