Monday 26 March 2012

Beetroot & parsnip raw salad with pineapple dressing






I mentioned once or twice that I live vegan food very much. I do not get too excited about the whole philosophy of veganism, I do not find eggs or butter substitutes especially in the desserts very tasty. In my kitchen vegan dishes are quite common (most soups!) and when you think about raw salads, veggie side dishes most of them are vegan.  

I have to admit though that I am not very good in making raw salads. I remember eating them a lot as a child, my Mum is very good at making them, I still cannot get them as perfect. Due to the strong memories of the raw salads I ate as a child I decided to go for something completely new.  I found this recipe and I thought it is completely crazy. And this means I have to try it asap!

This recipe comes form excellent book called "Veganomicon. The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook" (Isa Chandra Moscowitz, Terry Hope Romero) and in the future I think I will add a splash of lime juice to the dressing, because I think this would make it even better. I used freshly juiced pineapple, because we do not buy ready juices – we have our own juicer and make juices as we go. I could not see any point in getting ready bought expensive juice (yes, 100% natural are expensive) and not drinking most of it when I only needed little for a dressing, so I bought fresh pineapple and juiced it.  

Enjoy this most freaky crazy (in a good way!) raw salad.

Serves 3-4

2 large parsnips, peeled (about 220g)
5 small beetroots, peeled (about ok. 230g)
1/3 cup of chopped fresh mint

Dressing

1 cup pineapple juice  
¼ cup red wine vinegar  
1/5 cup of oil (I used rapeseed, originally it was grape oil)
1 tbsp agava syrup or maple syrup
½ tsp salt  
1 small garlic clove, peeled and finely grated

To prepare the dressing mix all the ingredients in a large bowl and set aside. 

Using a food processor shred the vegetables. You really need to use food processor here, first of all the vegetables will be nicely shredded, it will take one minute only and remember – the beets stain quite a lot so when you shred them using grater your kitchen will end up looking like a shower in “Psycho” film by Hitchcock.

Add the shredded vegetables to the bowl with the dressing and leave them to macerate for about 15 minutes.  

Next add the mint, mix well and chill slightly before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, feel free to leave a comment. Thank you!