Tuesday 14 February 2012

Tomato soup with gremolata (for anniversary)


It has been two years since I started blogging. Today I would say exactly the same as last year. Although I slowed down little bit, still enjoy blogging. I hope you enjoy my posts, like the recipes and photographs and all I hope for that there will be more to come in years and you will still be here. Just want to say thank you and send you my best smile!

Today again I have for you an anniversary recipe for tomato soup. In the middle of winter you need and kick of vitamin C so why do not sprinkle warm soup with some gremolata? Enjoy



Serves 4-6

2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, peeled and diced
tsp brown sugar
2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped 
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
3 x 400g tinned, chopped tomatoes
about 1.2l vegetable stock 
salt
freshly ground black pepper

Gremolata

handful of fresh parsley, finely chopped  
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
zest of whole large lemon

To prepare gremolata mix all the above ingredients just before serving.


In large pan fry the onion on the olive oil and after few minutes add the sugar. Fry until the onion is softened and add the garlic. Fry for about 2 minutes, then add the vinegar, stir and leave it to bubble away. Then add tomatoes, hot stock, stir, bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.

Using hand blender whiz the soup until smooth, season with salt and pepper and serve with some gremolata on the top.  If it seems too thick you can add some more stock.

3 comments:

  1. Happy second blogging anniversary. The gremolata is a great idea with freshly made tomato soup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice recipe, and nice touch of adding Gremolata on top! It is nice added to so many things, very versatile.

    Wow 2 years of blogging, it reminds me I have so many blogposts to write and post. It is hard to find the time.

    Anyway hope you had a nice valentines day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much for your comments guys. :)

    We have just moved into new house, therefore I did not have a time for blogging at the moment, but I'll be back! ;) soon...

    Warm regards from Yorkshire Dales, where is nice and sunny today!

    ReplyDelete

Please, feel free to leave a comment. Thank you!