Thursday 3 November 2011

Butternut squash, leek & walnut bake




It is not the best looking dish. It is difficult to hold together when removed from a roasting dish, but even bit deconstructed it still tastes good. I did not want to use cream, eggs or more cheese, I wanted something light and use all leftovers I had in the fridge. My partner was away for few days and I could not be bothered to do some shopping or cook something more adventurous. I do not fancy cooking three course dinner if I have to eat it on my own. It is no fun. Do you think so?


Serves 2-4 

about 1.2kg butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and sliced (I used a mandolin with a crinkle blade)
3 small leeks, sliced, white and light green part, together about 275g
1 large garlic clove, peeled and chopped
about 25g butter
large handful of walnuts, roughly chopped  
about 300ml vegetable stock
freshly ground black pepper
freshly ground nutmeg
4 tbsp grated cheese (I used half pecorino and half cheddar – leftovers)  

Place an ovenproof dish on the hob and melt the butter. Next add the leeks and fry, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Next add the garlic, fry for about minute and remove from the dish. Set aside. 

Place half of the squash on the bottom of the dish (I do not add any slat, because stock and cheese are salty enough), add some pepper, nutmeg and place the whole leeks on the top. Sprinkle with the half of the walnuts, cover with the remaining squash. Again sprinkle with some pepper and nutmeg, add half of the hot stock, and cover with some kitchen foil. Place in the preheated (180C fan) oven. 

Bake for about 20 minutes, uncover, add the remaining stock, sprinkle with cheese and bake for further 15 minutes or so. 

I had some immediately, and the leftovers were suitable to reheat in the microwave.  




4 comments:

  1. I have to disagree with you and say, i think its a good looking dish and one I'd love to have a go at making. I'm a veggie, so its right up my street; or should I say right for my belly :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you guys. :)

    I am glad that you like this bake and yes - it is NOT AS bad looking as I originaly thought. I suppose the Le Creuset dish helps a lot. ;P

    Thanks for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please, feel free to leave a comment. Thank you!