Monday 7 November 2011

Brussels sprouts with orange










I know quite a few people who don’t like Brussels sprouts and I wonder why? OK, I am not entirely impartial as since I was a kid I loved this veg. However trying to be totally objective I have to admit that sprouts are little bit bitter and this could be a reason that some many people don’t like it. It is a shame because it is very healthy vegetable packed with fibre, antioxidants and vitamins. Perhaps today’s recipe will convince those who don’t like bitterness of the sprouts, as the orange makes this veg less bitter. I found the idea f cooking Brussels sprouts in orange juice in some old “Olive” magazine but have changed it – I added some walnuts on the top.    

Do you like this tiny-winy cabbage?





Serves 2-4


about 700g brussels sprouts 
about 30g of butter 
juice and zest of one orange (use a grater or a zester for a better vusial effect)
salt
freshly ground black pepper

Place the sprouts into a deep pan with a lid along with the butter and fry for about minute or so. Next add the orange zest and juice along with the salt and pepper. Bring to a bubble then put the lid on, turn the heat down and cook the sprouts for 15 minutes or until tender (you have to chec, sometimes they only takes 10 minutes to cook). Shake the pan ocassionally so they don't catch.

On the dry frying pan toast the walnuts until crispy. Remove from a pan and chop roughly. Sprinkle the cooked sprouts before serving.  

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! This camera is INCREDiBLE! Love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Mario, would you belive this is still my old kit lenses? I used my new ones to take photo of the squash bake (previosu post) and during my recent walk (next post). :) Stay tuned though as I will show Italian tripe recipe and I used new lenses. Photos are WICKED imho. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you kidding? Okay, I want to buy your old kit lenses. Your new photos with the tripe are great. BTW, we have a Mexican dish here in Cali with tripe that is called Menudo. It is very popular in Mexican restaurants on Sunday morning because it is said to cure hangovers. I have no experience with this of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was simply lucky to take one or two decent photos along other twenty. ;) Never heard about this Mexican dish, have to dig deeper to see if it is worth trying. ;)

    Btw - you have no experience with a tripe dish or hangover? ;)

    Cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please, feel free to leave a comment. Thank you!