Saturday 26 November 2011

Apple & cranberry pancakes with spiced butter



I was really keen to cook those pancakes since I first saw them in December’s “Good Food” issue. I love the aroma and the taste of spices such as cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, pepper. In many Polish homes a gingerbread is served during the Christmas and the idea of having something for a breakfast with this hint of Christmassy was very tempting. Originally this was served with a cinnamon butter but I decided to go for the whole range of spices and use mixed spice. Also they recommend peeling the apple; I personally think that this would be such a shame to get rid of the apple skin. I also did not weight the cranberries, just added a good handful.  Don’t be surprised with the idea of salted butter being used along the sugar and spices – it goes amazingly good with the sour cranberries and the sweet syrup. 

This was one of the best things I ever had for my breakfast. I would highly recommend this for a breakfast in cold winter morning especially when you are planning a walk – it gives a real kick! We had it twice already and still can’t stop thinking about having some more.  

Serves 2-3

For the pancakes:

150g self raising flour
half tsp bicarbonate soda
pinch of salt
1 egg, beaten
about 140ml buttermilk
2 tbsp milk
about 40g melted butter
1 eating apple, cored and coarsely grated
handful of dried cranberries

more butter for frying
maple syrup for serving

Spiced butter:

about 40g salted butter
1 tbsp mixed spice
1 tsp caster sugar

To make the spiced butter roughly cut the butter with a knife sprinkle with mixed spice and sugar, chop little bit further so all the ingredients are mixed well. Form a sausage shape and wrap in a piece of paper, store in a fridge.

For the pancakes mix the flour with the soda and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Make a well in the centre and gradually whisk in the egg (I used fork), followed by milk, buttermilk and melted butter. Once the mixture is smooth and there are no signs of dry flour add the grated apple and cranberries.

Melt some butter in a frying pan and when hot ladle small amount of batter to form 3-4 pancakes, depending on the size of your pan.  Cook for about 3 minutes until golden and turn over and fry for 2 more minutes, or until golden.

To serve stack pancakes on a warm plate, add good knob of spiced butter on the top and drizzle with maple syrup.  And I swear - now when I am writing about this my mouth waters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, feel free to leave a comment. Thank you!