Thursday 13 October 2011

Best scones ever




I have been baking the scones for few years now, but only recently when visited "The Secret Teacup" I felt like I had a kind of scones revelation. They were lighter than any others I had before, more fluffy and plain for a change. Thankfully the hostess shared her recipe with me and now I can enjoy best scones ever. I wonder if I will ever look back. The secret is buttermilk (soda and baking powder react well with sour liquid) and not kneading the dough, just putting it together. Please have a look at this typical British delight.


Scones – best I ever had

Makes 10-12

375g self raising flour
1 tbsp caster sugar
30g butter (I used unsalted)
300ml buttermilk

Heat the oven to 200 C (fan) and line a large baking tray with some baking paper.

Place flour sugar and cubed butter in a food processor and pulse until butter incorporates into the flour. You can also use your fingers and rub the butter in. Next add some buttermilk, little by little, with the lightest touch. Do not overdo the dough, stop when there is no sign of dry flour. The dough should be sticky!

Place the dough onto generously floured surface and press it slightly, until about 2.5cm high.    

Now, I prefer to stick to James’ Martin granny’s tip and cut the scones out without putting any leftover dough together and cutting again – it changes the dough structure and they are not as fluffy anymore. So I try to cut as much scones as possible from one piece, using a round cookie cutter and then when I have some bits left, I put them together to form one odd scone.

Bake then in the hot oven for about 12 minutes, remove from the oven and let them cool down on a wire rack.

Serve with fresh cream and your favourite fruit preserve.

For shiny scones brush the tops with beaten egg before baking.  

6 comments:

  1. Ah, yes. Never overwork the scone pastry !
    Like you, I also always have one odd shaped scone - the last one. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patricia, thanks for stopping by. :) My first scones, about 5 years ago were awful - overworked!

    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look like perfect scones to me, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We never baked scones before and those we ate in a coffee shops seemed a bit too fatty/greasy... but yours look absolutely scrumptious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily, thanks! :)

    Mario, no problem! :D

    Daria & Jarek, the ones I had in tea rooms seemed a bit dry and not fluffy. These are different. You can obviously overwork the dough and they will be ideal for shooting the ducks, but if you follow the instruction of no kneading, these should be perfect. :) Not too greasy - look - only 30g of butter! (buttermilk is fat free, oh well - some traces of fat).

    Thank you ALL for your kind comments! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please, feel free to leave a comment. Thank you!