Tuesday 5 April 2011

Bloody Mary sardines

One of the most common language mistakes being made by Polish people in United Kingdom seems to be ordering bloody steak as oppose to rare. Many Poles don't realise that steak that has some blood running out of it is not called bloody. By the way bloody hell I find very interesting and useful and this is one of my favourite English expressions. And talking about bloody - I love Bloody Mary cocktail. Mixture of vodka, tomato juice and flavourings such as Tabasco and celery salt makes me really excited.

This is why I couldn't resist a recipe that I have seen in Hugh's Fearnley-Whittingstall River Cottage. He has done a genius thing by mixing Bloody Mary classic taste with... tinned sardines.




Serves 2

2x95g tins of sardines in oil, drained
1 tbsp tomato ketchup
few drops Tabasco sauce
few shakes Worcestershire sauce
squeeze of lemon juice
pinch of celery salt
freshly ground black pepper
2-3 tsp good quality cold vodka (I really encourage you to use good quality Polish rye vodkas - they are the best!)
bread to serve + butter (optionally)

In a small bowl roughly mash the sardines with the ketchup, Tabasco, Worcestershire, lemon juice, celery salt and black pepper.

Pile the mixture on the bread. Finish off with a sprinkling of vodka and serve straight away. I am sure it tastes great as an accompaniment to a shot of good quality freezing cold rye vodka. (get some of Polish ones such as Królewska, Chopin, Belvedere, Pan Tadeusz, Sobieski, Wyborowa).


2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the muffins spicy to Poland

    ReplyDelete
  2. TravelandCooking, I am bot sure what you on about, but yes: welcome to Poland, somebody for sure will greet you with vodka. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Please, feel free to leave a comment. Thank you!